September 03, 2009

St. Nicholas Uganda Children's Fund

I often get asked by very well-meaning people if I can recommend a charity wherein the money donated actually goes to those for whom it's intended (if you're not aware by now, much of the charity money given in good faith is actually corrupted long before it helps anyone in need). I am very, very happy to make this recommendation that has an Orthodox foundation. The St. Nicholas Uganda Children's Fund was set-up by two pious Christians who have spent 8 years of their life traveling back and forth to Uganda to serve in many capacities. This is just one of them.

What I can tell you is that 100% of the money you donate goes to the care of the child. Additionally, the founders of this program go to great lengths to ensure the integrity of the program by interviewing all potential children to be funded (and thereby weeding out a lot of fraud) and by ensuring that the children are going to good schools where they are treated well. (One day, one of the founders discovered that the orphans attending one school were being mistreated by the teaching staff -- picked on for being poor and motherless -- and they were immediately withdrawn and placed in another school).

If you want to know more please click on the link and check it out for yourself, or simply drop me a line (the email link is on the right, just below the icon).

3 comments:

Essay said...

Thank you for sharing, I like it worth reading.

Rosemary Bogdan said...

Sounds like an excellent organization to give to. I love donating to groups like this. Locally, I give to "Tim's Fund for Kids" through Hope Clinic International. Tim passed away in his twenties and his father, a pediatrician, opened a clinic for women and children in Nicaragua and named it after his son. Tim's Clinic.

Penelope said...

Thank you for the recommendation! I have to tell my husband...he is often asking the same thing.